When you try and believe in yourself does it always feel that you are never Good Enough. If you agree with this, then you may be experiencing a low self esteem.
What is self-esteem , it helps us to be who we are , improves and boosts our self-worth in being able to know you are doing the best, feeling confident when around others. Self-esteem is the opinion we have about ourselves. When we have a healthy self-esteem, then we tend to feel positive about ourselves and about life in general. It gives us resilience to be able to deal with what life can throw at us.
When our Self-esteem is low, we tend to see ourselves and our life in a negative and critical way. We will often feel less able to take on challenges that we come across in life.
What is a low self-esteem?
- You might notice that you are comparing yourself to others through appearance, achievements, and popularity.
- Thinking in a negative way. Self-critical thoughts “ I can’t even do that, I am stupid”.
- Experiencing Anxious thoughts about what others think about us “they think I am boring”.
- When someone pays us a compliment then a person with low self-esteem tends to discount the compliment by thinking “she is just saying that she doesn’t mean it , she would say that she is my friend “.
- Overcompensating by trying to please everyone . Difficulties in seeing any positives in yourself.
- Avoiding social events, feeling anxious when around people.
- Strong beliefs about yourself “ I am not good enough, I am worthless, I am unlovable “ are a few examples of a core belief , that we develop from significant life events.
The 6-week course we run for believing in yourself – For low self-esteem is underpinned with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and will focus on understanding what Low self-esteem is and how it is maintained .
- We will be also looking at what are triggers to feeling low in mood or anxious and how we use unhelpful behaviours that will keep the vicious cycle maintained.
- How to challenge both self-critical and anxious thoughts, enabling you to have an understanding of the anxiety cycle.
- With a low self-esteem often comes a negative opinion about yourself and we explored this with our session on the Positive me, and strategies in being kind to yourself.
- Rules are what we do to protect our core belief and we look at how they can activate.
Other techniques are anxiety management with relaxation strategies , CBT thought records, challenging our negative thoughts and finding an alternative way to think that reduces our anxiety and improves our mood.
This course contains :6x 90-minute live webinars ,BraintrainersUk resources, support with homework once a week via email. This webinar is facilitated by Accredited Cognitive Behavioural Therapists with experience in training and facilitating Courses.